The Main Street Alliance of Oregon, formerly the Oregon Small Business Council, was founded in 2008 to work toward real health care reform that works for small businesses.
As we continue to focus on achieving that goal, we are also currently broadening our scope to address other issues facing small business owners in local, state and federal decision-making.
The Main Street Alliance of Oregon is actively working to create economy-boosting jobs, build stronger communities, and promote high road business practices that lead to thriving Main Street businesses across Oregon.
2015 Legislative Policy Priorities
- Paid Sick Days – Work with Everybody Benefits coalition. Provide small business support to state earned sick leave legislation. Educate and engage membership statewide.
- Retirement Security – Work with Save Today, Secure Tomorrow coalition supporting creation of Retirement Security Board to continue studying pooled retirement savings options for Oregon small businesses and employees. Educate and engage membership statewide.
- Health Care – Focus on Single Payer, Basic Health Plan, and the Cover Oregon transition process, including development of SHOP.
- Min Wage – Work with allies and coalition partners to drive minimum wage increase legislation. Educate and engage membership statewide.
- Capital Access for Small Business – Drive Community Public Offering (CPO) Legislation.
- Health Care – Work with allies on Comprehensive Women’s Health, Health Care for All Children, and some Hospital Transparency legislation.
- Revenue/Tax fairness – Engage on state tax reform efforts. Continue to advocate for balanced approach to deficit reduction and investment in job creation and infrastructure.
- Money in politics – Work with Oregon Democracy Coalition. Continue to support local campaigns to get cities and counties to pass resolutions.
- Immigration – Monitor federal debate. Continue to engage with and support allies in the on-going Driver’s Card fight.
- Environmental issues – Mainly Carbon Tax and Clean Fuels
- Consumer/Insurance reform – Be prepared to support allies with action
- Wage Theft – Continue to support Wage Theft Coalition work