Small businesses across Oregon know the private health insurance industry does not work for them. Here are elements business owners want in a health care system and how a statewide, publicly funded, universal health care system would meet these needs:
1. Remove business owners from the health care management business.
Universal care relieves employers of all administrative responsibilities. Employers do not need to manage funds, determine benefits, or pay providers.
2. Keep health care costs predictable.
Universal publicly funded health care allows every individual and business owner to know their share of costs as a taxpayer. These costs do not change regardless of health, family size, or employment status.
3. Keep employees, full- and part-time, healthy and productive.
By removing deductibles and co-pays, universal care encourages employees to seek health care early. Employees stay healthier and more productive, reducing sick time costs.
4. Provide employees with competitive health care benefits. Keep productive employees from seeking better benefits at another company.
Universal care means every employee gets the same comprehensive benefits regardless of employer. Entrepreneurs can start a new business and retain health care access for themselves, their families, and new employees. Employers do not need to split full-time positions into multiple part time positions to reduce health care costs.
5. Level the playing field for businesses large and small. Companies won’t pay less by reducing or eliminating health care benefits.
All individuals and businesses will pay their fair share for providing universal health care. Oregon companies will have a strong competitive advantage over states with employer based health care and will be better able to compete internationally with countries already providing universal care.
6. Assure health care independent of labor-management negotiations.
Benefits are determined by the single payer agency, not by individual labor-management contracts.
7. Remove the costs of providing care for retired and disabled employees.
A universal health care system provides everyone in Oregon with the same benefits, regardless of age, employment status or disability, relieving businesses of the burden of paying for retiree health plans.
Download a sign-on sheet (PDF) with which to recruit other small businesses to this campaign!