THE MAIN STREET ALLIANCE OF OREGON IS HIRING!
Deadline to apply: June 30, 2014 (applications will be considered on a rolling basis)
Job Title: The Main Street Alliance of Oregon Small Business Organizer
Position Summary: The Small Business Organizer will organize businesses working with The Main Street Alliance of Oregon, an affiliate of the national The Main Street Alliance network and a project of the Alliance for a Just Society, to advance win-win public policies that benefit small business owners, their employees, and the communities they serve. The Main Street Alliance of Oregon Small Business Organizer will work with Main Street Alliance staff to develop a coordinated organizing plan, conduct direct canvass-based outreach to recruit small business owners to join The Main Street Alliance of Oregon, help develop and implement a grassroots fundraising plan, develop small business leaders, and mobilize small business owners to impact decision-makers, opinion leaders and the media. This position involves frequent travel around the state.
The Main Street Alliance of Oregon Small Business Organizer reports to The Main Street Alliance of Oregon State Director.
The duties of The Main Street Alliance of Oregon Small Business Organizer focus primarily on outreach/recruitment, leadership development/training, and mobilizing small business owners to engage decision-makers, the media, and the public in support of issues like health care reform, fair taxes, and high road workplace benefits. These duties include:
- Work with Oregon & national Main Street Alliance staff to develop a coordinated small business outreach and organizing plan for the state, and participate in the development of the national Main Street Alliance network.
- Conduct small business recruitment drives in key areas around the state using direct canvass-based outreach to recruit small business members; recruit and train volunteers/interns to participate in small business outreach blitzes and other outreach/contact strategies.
- Help to develop and implement a grassroots fundraising plan with a dues structure for members of The Main Street Alliance of Oregon.
- Hold organizing meetings in key areas around the state to build local small business leadership teams, engage small business owners on a deeper level, and identify potential small business spokespeople and candidates for a coalition steering committee.
- Identify and develop small business leadership/spokesperson teams for direct engagement with decision-makers, media opportunities, and peer outreach through one-on-ones, organizing meetings and small business leadership trainings.
- Engage emerging small business leaders in peer outreach and research – collecting petitions and surveys – to develop leadership and build resources for research products.
- Organize statewide and local tactics, action steps and events in coordination with the national small business campaign plan – leverage the voices of small business owners to impact the public debate.
- Recruit and staff a diverse statewide steering committee for The Main Street Alliance of Oregon.
- Deep commitment to a vision of racial, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners in Oregon.
- At least 2 years experience in community/grassroots organizing, political campaigns and/or legislative work.
- Experience and strong canvassing and/or door knocking skills.
- Experience with grassroots fundraising.
- Ability to communicate effectively and engage members of the small business community at their level.
- Strong written and verbal skills, and ability to listen.
- Ability to produce consistent, quality work in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel around the state on a regular basis and work flexible hours required.
- Ability to work independently and strong time management skills.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet & database, Power Point, electronic communication).
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages a plus.
- Experience with national campaigns or large municipal/state coalitions a plus.
- A passion for organizing and a sense of humor.
- There will be an evaluation after the first month, again at the six-month mark, then ongoing at the end of each year.
- Salary DOE.
- Generous benefits, including health and dental coverage, retirement contributions, paid vacation, personal days, and holidays, as per personnel policies.
To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resumé and references to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: The Main Street Alliance of Oregon Small Business Organizer
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our organizing team! The Alliance for a Just Society and Main Street Alliance are committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.
The Main Street Alliance of Oregon (MSA-Oregon) is seeking multiple year round interns to help grow our coalition of small business owners throughout the state of Oregon, and educate owners on issues ranging from health care to credit and lending.
MSA-Oregon is a grassroots lobbying organization that works to provide small businesses a voice on the most pressing public policy issues in Oregon and nationally. Our advocacy promotes vibrant businesses and healthy communities, and fosters leadership development of socially responsible business leaders.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (including, but not limited to):
• New member recruitment
• Survey collection
• Petition signature collection
• Business owner story collection
• LTE and op-ed drafting and pitching
• Building of business owner spokesperson teams
• Building of business owner action teams
• Setting up and prepping business owners for meetings with local and national decision-makers
Please send an email with “MSA-Oregon Intern” in the subject line, including your resume and a cover letter explaining your relevant experience and interest in the position to MSA-Oregon Coalition Director, Lee Mercer – email@example.com.